Alien wavelength is a technology which helps to increase the capacity of the existing DWDM networks.
Even if the network was designed for 10G channels, with high probability you can use it for 100G/200G services. This solution enables you to connect “alien” devices directly into the DWDM multiplexer to obtain extra capacity or to deploy encrypted services, and, most importantly, to eliminate the necessity of big investments into the infrastructure as additional wavelengths can easily be added at any time.
The development of 5G and IoT technologies, 4K/8K content and advancing automation have led to high capacity demand, which is a big challenge for service providers.
There are a number of reasons for companies to decide on the application of alien wavelength technologies, e.g.:
- Wavelength optimization becomes necessary as companies run out of wavelength in the existing multiplexers,
- New, necessary services can’t be launched on the existing network platform (device platform),
- Rapid increase of the volume of services generated by key clients,
- The necessity for encrypted transmission,
- The wish to incorporate new services into the company’s offer.
In the changing and demanding environment it becomes necessary for service providers to be able to quickly respond to all demands for capacity. An ideal solution would be one that could allow for adding any capacity to a given system at any time. But is that enough? If you want to increase the competitiveness of your services, you should take into consideration not only the purchase costs but also such aspects as management and maintenance services, so that the operation costs remain at a relatively low level.
This can be approached in a number of ways. Most importantly, none of them requires significant changes or additional investments into the DWDM infrastructure. Among the options, you can choose from:
- This can be approached in a number of ways. Most importantly, none of them requires significant changes or additional investments into the DWDM infrastructure. Among the options, you can choose from:
- A transponder-based solution which enables to use the existing network for 100GbE/OTU4 transmission with 100G/200G lambdas,
- An encryption device which enables to encrypt the necessary transmission in layer 1 and to transport it over the existing DWDM infrastructure.
One of the most important advantages of alien wavelength solutions is their economic justification. It’s hard to predict how the demand for bandwidth will rise in different network nodes, and the thing we want to avoid is big investments into the infrastructure. This is why compact devices seem to be perfect for this purpose as they are easy to use and energy efficient. In the case of providing encryption services it is vital to separate the roles of network administrator (services provider) from cryptography administrator (end-user). To sum up, alien wavelength solution enables to release the potential of DWDM network by increasing its spectrum efficiency. Moreover, it facilitates the deployment of new services and securing sensitive data. All this is done to extend the lifespan of the existing infrastructure.